Changelog | Release management 📣
Changelog: is the list of all our releases in a structured way. New features are listed (the BUILD); the improvements (the RUN) and the bugs. We detail the big changes and list the small ones.
A changelog is a simple way to communicate our progress and culture and celebrate wins. It is a quick way to align our team to focus on creating user value. In the end it's a list of all our releases. See how we handle it on Slite.
For each release, we have:
- a release date
- a link the the specific release below
- a very short description of the big feature / improvement (the BUILD feature if there's one)
- tags for the main features / improvements (the BUILD feature if there is one)
The purpose here is to list everything and detail what needs to be explained. We do it in a structured way, so it looks clear and beautiful. A nice and consistent structure helps people to understand rapidly what needs to be understood!
⚠ Please avoid at all cost the "techy jargon". Nobody understand what FPB means, it should be named Offre client.
- 1.A main picture (preferably a beautiful one with a nice background and rounded border 50px - as we want our Changelog to look good because we are craftsmen proud of our work). This picture is at the top - in full width.
- 2.The main features of the 🏗 BUILD (##h2). With a title and then a full description and the details. The details should not be on Slack but here !
- 3.The main features of the 🏃RUN (##h2). With a title and then a full description and the details. The details should not be on Slack but here !
- 4.If an image or a video is required to explain - it should be a small picture to keep the release clean (we can always click to enlarge pictures on Slite)
- 5.Other improvements and bug fixes (H2): We list with a checkbox all the changes that were done (tech and non tech)
- 6.Finish with a separator line
This is just a summary to create enjoyment and reaction on Slack. The purpose is not to detail it here, as we want people to read the release note. Just a list of the features / improvements / bugs (we can omit here the pure tech components that won't speak to them)
- 2.A list of all the features (big and small) without a description. Just a list, as the details are in Slite. We start the list with their nature as an emoji.
- 🏗for the build
- 🏃for the run
- 🐞for the bug fixes
- 3.The image of the main picture (the one from Slite)
Example of the Slack summary of a release note
Here is the full note (in French sorry) when this new notion of Changelog was implemented.